Johann Eberhard Ream, born in Leimen, Germany on October 6, 1687 came to America with his family in 1717. They were the first white people in this area, having arrived here in 1723 or 4. He received two grants of land, 389 acres and 113 acres, from the sons of William Penn. His eleven children were, Jacob 1713, Anna 1716, Abraham 1718, Nicholas 1721, John 1723, Mathias 1726, Tobias 1733, Andrew 1737, and Susanna, Samuel, and Adam, whose birth dates are unknown. On February 15, 1759, Eberhard and his wife divided most of their land among their seven living sons wording each deed "for the natural love and affection which they bear to their son." They are buried in Ream's Cemetery 1/2 mile to the southwest.
Founder of Reamstown
In 1760 Tobias Ream divided the 54 acres he received from his parents in 1759 into building lots and founded this town which he named Zohar. The lots were 66 feet wide and 297 feet deep and were sold on the ground rent plan. The first deeds were delivered on September 24, 1761. On June 28, 1773 Tobias (1733-1807) and Juliana (1738-1824) his wife, deeded Lot No. 54 to Andrew Ream and Jacob Rupp, trustees, for a free schoolhouse, church, and burying ground. This is where the Lutheran and Reformed Church now stands. They were the parents of ten children and are buried in Ream's Cemetery, 1/2 mile to the southwest.
Dedicated during Reamstown bicentennial celebration
June 5, 1960