This Italianate brick commercial structure with a cast-iron storefront on the first floor is significant for its 24 year association with Gadsden's principal newspaper. It was constructed in 1904 to house The Gadsden Times-News, which was established in 1867 under the ownership of two Confederate veterans, Leonidas Grant and T. J. Cox. In 1871 it was purchased by William M. Meeks and merged with rival The Gadsden News in 1887. The Meeks family published the paper until 1927 when the business was sold and moved elsewhere.
Renovated in 1981 this building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places January 11, 1983.
Erected 1991 by George D. King, Jr., Thirwell M. Nolen, Burgett H. Mooney, III, Merrill Lynch & Co., Etowah Historical Society.