[Front]Continued on other side
Erected in 1768, this edifice, officially known as Wambaw Church, was situated on the King's Highway. It is the fourth church to serve St. James Santee Parish. The parish, founded in 1706 at the request of French Huguenot settlers, was the second oldest in the colony. The Rev. Samuel Fenner Warren served as parish rector from 1758 until his death in 1789.
Continued from other sideThomas Lynch, Paul Mazyck, John Drake, Jonah Collins, Jacob Motte, Jr., Daniel Horry, and Elias Horry were appointed commissioners to build the church. The sanctuary combines elements of the Georgian and Classical architectural styles and reflects a late-18th century trend toward a more sophisticated design for parish churches. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.