[Side A:]Hank and Audrey Williams
Three Notch Road
Established 1824The Three Notch Road was a 90-mile section of a 230-mile military road to connect Pensacola with Fort Mitchell in Russell County on the Chattahoochie River. Capt. Daniel E. Burch marked the route using three notches on trees for a crew under Lt. Elias Phillips to follow. Soldiers from the U. S. 4th Infantry Division cleared the route in June, July, and August, 1824, at a cost of $1,130. The road runs through the present cities of Andalusia and Troy. It follows the ridge dividing the water sheds of the Conecuh on the northwest, and the Yellow and Pea rivers on the southeast, from the town of Carolina, where it intersected the 1817 Gaines Road to Union Springs where it intersected the 1805 Federal Road. Local legends that credit Andrew Jackson are not documented.
Married Dec. 15, 1944Nineteen-year-old Hank Williams was singing with a medicine show in Pike County in 1943 when he met Audrey Sheppard. She was estranged from her husband, with whom she had a daughter, Lycrecia Ann, born Aug. 13, 1941. Hank and Audrey lived in Andalusia while Hank's band performed at the Riverside Inn on the east bank of the Conecuh River at River Falls. Ten days after her divorce, Justice of the Peace M. A. Bovett married them at John G. Wright, Sr's garage in this building. The marriage inspired many of his songs. Randall Hank Williams, Jr, was born May 26, 1949. Hank and Audrey divorced May 29, 1952, seven months before his death. They are buried side by side in Montgomery.