In 1733 a charter was granted to "a dissenting congregation" of Scots and Irish Presbyterians who had settled in this area. A Meeting House was subsequently erected at this location. The Reverend Thomas Evans conducted the first service here on August 12, 1733. The tract, then known as Holy Hill, was formally conveyed to church trustees in 1749. On June 30, 1776, the Reverend John Miller summoned the large number of Patriots in the congregation to support the American Revolution. Services in the old church were discontinued in 1846 when a new site was obtained. Notable burials in the church cemetery include those of John Clark, Governor of Delaware (1817-1820), and Presley Spruance, United States Senator (1847-1853).