In 1900, Marshall Moore and his wife, Agnes V. McClain commissioned Joseph G. Nesbitt,Sr., an African- American contractor/builder, to construct this Victorian period cottage. The Moores, among the first graduates and early faculty members of Lincoln Normal School in Marion (Perry County), moved to Montgomery in 1887 when the school was relocated here. It was re-named the State Normal School for Colored Students (now Alabama State University).
From 1936 until 1993, the house remained in the family as the home of the Moore's youngest daughter Albertine and husband Elisha Campbell. In 1993, shortly after Mr. Campbell's death, his fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha, Upsilon Lambda Chapter, purchased the house in 2001, the fraternity restored the house retaining Victorian architectural details such as ornamental mantels and diamond shaped windows.
This historic landmark. Currently being used as a social and civic gathering place for the fraternity and the community , was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1999.