Starting in 1889, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, also known as the Birmingham Mineral Railroad, began railroad freight and passengerservice to Oneonta with the completion of the rail line from Boyles Railroad Yard near Birmingham to the Champion Iron Ore Mines. By 1905, the railroad through Oneonta ran to Attalla and Gadsden to thenortheast, connecting with the Alabama Mineral Division of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Originally the L&N provided passenger and freight service to Oneonta, and the L&N depot provided thepassenger ticketing and waiting area. In addition, the railroad's agent had space in the depot to handle freight billing and railroad-related operational work. Railroad passenger service ended in 1951.The L&N Railroad depot was located in downtown Oneonta behind the Garner Hotel. In 1975, the depot was moved from the downtown area to the present location and since has been used as a meeting site for various functions.