1776 ? 1976
St. John's Episcopal ChurchIn 1774, St John's, the first Episcopal Church in this area, was built here on land granted by the town. Struck by lightning that same year, the original building was repaired and endured for a hundred years.
In 1765, the area around Broad Street and Washington Boulevard was deeded as glebe land to the church whose first rector, the Reverend Ebenezer Dibblee, was to serve for 51 years. Though in sympathy with the loyalist cause, as were many of his divided parish, he remained throughout the Revolution at personal risk to himself and his family.
A new church was consecrated here on April 19, 1843. In 1882 St. John's established Stamford's first hospital.
On January 24, 1890, the second church burned. A new cornerstone was laid in September, and services were held for the first time in the present building on November 1, 1891. Lloyd Library, Stamford's first public library, is still functioning within these walls. Stamford Bicentennial
Kiwanis Club of Stamford
Stamford Historical Society