1640 ? 1990
Cos CobThe name "Cos Cob Neck" was recorded in 1686. Six Cos Cob roads, including the present Orchard and Bible Streets, were laid out during 1689 northward from the Main Country Road (US 1) into "ye wilderness". A packet boat began to travel regularly between the Mianus River and New York City in 1700, carrying farm produce westward and returning with finished goods. David Bush constructed a tidal grist mill and dam at the mouth of Strickland Brook. On February 26, 1779, the British under General Tryon raided Greenwich and destroyed sloops and an important salt works at the lower landing on the Mianus River. The first railroad station was built in 1872. Palmer Brothers was established in 1888, later producing its well-known marine engine on Palmer's Point. An 1890's - 1920's artist and writer colony was centered at the "Holley House", later known as the Bush-Holley House. The last farm produce boat discontinued its run to New York City in 1896 - the end of an era. The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad line was electrified, and the Cos Cob Power Plant was constructed during 1906-07 on Studwell Point.