In 1857 efforts to extend a rail line from Harrington to the harbor at Lewes were initiated. Though the line was completed to Milford in 1859, additional work was delayed until 1867. By 1868 the rails had reached Georgetown. With extension of the railway to Lewes the following year, and the addition of connections to the Rehoboth resort and the lower Eastern Shore in the 1870s, the Delmarva Peninsula experienced a period of unprecedented prosperity. Located at the hub of this network, Georgetown was transformed by a growing population and booming economy. The town's first passenger station was located immediately north of this site. By the 1880s, a steady increase in the number of travelers had resulted in the need for a newer and larger facility. In response to this demand, the construction of the present station was completed in 1892. For many years the station bustled with activity. By the mid 20th century, road improvements and the growing use of automobiles and trucks led to a declining market for railroad services. Though the shipment of freight would continue, passenger service was ended in the spring of 1949. The Georgetown station served as an office for various railway functions until it was sold in 1972. The building was vacant when it was purchased by the Historic Georgetown Association in 1996. An extensive project to restore the exterior of the building to its original appearance was undertaken, and with the completion of the renovation of the interior in 2003, this historic structure was returned to its role as a center for the economic and social life of the community.