The Alexandria Sanitarium, founded by six area physicians, was opened January 1, 1903 in a former hotel at Second and Lee streets "to provide for a skillful treatment of medical and surgical cases of any nature." In 1905 the first building at Third and Scott streets, one block northeast, was built by the Scott Street Land and Development Co., Dr. John L. Wilson, president. In 1917 the property was given to the Louisiana Baptist Convention and the name changed in 1919 to The Baptist Hospital. The Convention operated the hospital for 53 years, adding units in 1918, 1936, 1941, 1944 and 1947. In 1970 the hospital was released to become a not-for-profit community hospital and the name changed in 1971 to Rapides General Hospital. Rapides Regional Medical Center, established in 1981, by 1990 included the Medical Terrace, Medical Plaza, Cancer Treatment Center and the Rapides Women's Hospital. In 1994 RRMC entered a joint venture with Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corporation to become part of the Columbia Regional Health System.