Farmers and Ranchers settled along the North and South forks of the Guadalupe River in the late 1850's, forming the Japonica and Pebble Communities. In 1912 Alva and Lizzie Joy bought land at the confluence and named the central settlement that developed there in honor of Robert Hunt, the prior landowner. Alva Joy established a post office in 1913, and an independent school district formed in the 1930s. By the 1930's the are began attracting artist, including the acclaimed E.M. Schiwetz. During the next decades, Hunt became a center for summer camps, exotic game ranches, and religious and corporate retreat facilities, but retained its identity as a small rural community.