Built in 1840 for Augustus Foscue (1799-1861), a North Carolina native who owned more than 3,000 acres and 137 slaves in Marengo County by 1850. Daughter Mary Alice (1838-1899) married in 1855 to Dr. Bryan Watkins Whitfield (1828-1908), son of Gen. Nathan Bryan Whitfield of nearby Gaineswood Plantation.
Original construction date worked into orange-hued brick on south side chimney. Brown-hued brick addition built onto front in 1849, requiring removal of two-tiered, columned entrance portico. Present shed-roofed porch added in twentieth century by Jesse G. Whitfield, replacing small 1849 portico.
Interior woodwork and wainscoting bear original "faux bois" graining to simulate bird's eye maple done by slave, Bob Ashe, who became a well-known carpenter in postbellum Demopolis.