In April, 1799, one of the state's first Methodist societies was organized near this site by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. On April 29, 1784, one acre of ground was purchased here for the erection of a "preaching house." The Church became known as Williams Chapel, in honor of brothers Arthur and Ezekiel Williams, founding members and prominent local preachers. Services were conducted here until the congregation relocated to a nearby site purchased in 1871. The church building was moved from this location at that time. On December 7, 1896, the Trustees of the church conveyed the property to Charles W. Johnson and Eliza J. Williams, for use as a cemetery.