John L. Hart In 1845, John Lide Hart (1825-1864) bought a 491-acre plantation here. Along what is now Home Avenue, he built a carriage factory, a store, a steam-powered sawmill and grist-mill, and houses for himself and his workers. Hart also donated land for the First Baptist Church, which he helped establish. The property here left his ownership in 1854. Hart, a Confederate lieutenant, died in action near Petersburg, Virginia.
John Hart House This example of regional vernacular architecture of the mid-19th century is the last antebellum structure known to remain on the site of John Hart's plantation and carriage factory. Many of Hartsville's leading citizens have owned or lived in the house since it left Hart's ownership in 1854. In 1981, the house was acquired by the Hartsville Heritage Foundation.