160,000 gallons of water per day. On October 17, 1935, a dedication was held at Alhambra Park with a dance at the Mount Pleasant Yacht Club. Four years later, waterworks operated at a profit with over 240 customers. A wastewater system was added in 1942 and later, two treatment plants. Captain S. A. Guilds provided astute leadership for over a decade as commission chairman. The first superintendent, C. B. Venning, devoted 34 years to creating an efficient, profitable utility. The office started at Guilds Inn on Pitt Street and later moved to the facility on Center Street. In 1990, the commission acquired Bulls Bay Rural Community Water District. Mount Pleasant set an example for coastal communities by building a water system and was the state's first city to use reverse osmosis treatment. The Operations Center opened in 1997 on Rifle Range Road. This marker commemorates the 75th anniversary of Mount Pleasant Waterworks.
|Placed By||Town of Mount Pleasant|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 20th, 2014 at 1:52pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 609300 N 3630899|
|Decimal Degrees||32.81065000, -79.83248333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 48.639', W 79° 49.949'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 48' 38.34" N, 79° 49' 56.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1619 Rifle Range Rd, Mt Pleasant SC 29464, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.