About 1760, French Huguenot immigrant Claudius Pegues settled in this area. His home, Pegues Place, is located one mile west of here. A founder and early officer of St. David's Episcopal Church in Cheraw, he was elected in 1768 as parish representative to the Commons House of Assembly and in 1785 was named a justice of the county. He died in 1790.
On May 3, 1781, a cartel for the exchange of prisoners of war taken during the American Revolution was signed one mile west of here at the home of Claudius Pegues. Lt. Col. Edward Carrington acted for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene of the Continental Army. Capt. Frederick Cornwallis, acting for his cousin, Lieut. Gen. Earl Cornwallis, signed for the British.