The original depot named Florence was built here in 1852, where the Wilmington & Manchester RR crossed present-day Hoffmeyer Rd. It was named for Florence Harllee (1848-1927), daughter of the railroad's president, William W. Harllee (1812-1897). In 1855 a new depot was built 2 mi. E where the railroad crossed Coit St., the Cheraw & Darlington RR, and the North Eastern RR.
Wilmington & Manchester RR
The 1855 depot became the center of the city of Florence, incorporated in 1871. The Wilmington & Manchester RR, chartered in 1846, began operating in 1853 and ran from Eagle Island, N.C., to Manchester, S.C., passing within 10 mi. of Darlington, S.C. In 1870 it was reorganized as the Wilmington, Columbia, & Augusta RR. It became part of the Atlantic Coast Line RR in 1898.