County Seat of Greene CountyIn 1838, Greene County citizens voted to change the town seat from Erie to Eutaw. The City of Eutaw, Alabama was incorporated as a town by and act of the State Legislature on January 2, 1841. Greene County had been named for General Nathaniel Green. The name, Eutaw, was chosen to commemorate the Battle of Eutaw Springs fought in South Carolina in 1781, the battle in which General Greene defeated the British. Since the county had been named for him, the people chose to name the town after his famous victory. The word, "Eutaw," comes from the aborigines' language, characterizing the South Carolina Indians as the "Highlanders" or "The Hill Dwellers." The proposed town was surveyed and laid out by Robert G. Quarles in December 1838. In August 2000, Raymond Steele was elected as the first African American Mayor of Eutaw.
|Placed By||Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Eutaw|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 3:27pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 416921 N 3634015|
|Decimal Degrees||32.84105000, -87.88773333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 50.463', W 87° 53.264'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 50' 27.78" N, 87° 53' 15.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 118-120 Tuscaloosa St, Eutaw AL 35462, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.