This congregation was organized in 1818 by members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. On March 20, 1819, trustees Purnal Johnson, Burton Johnson, William Hanzor, John Cornish, and Mitchell Johnson, purchased one half acre of land in Indian River Hundred on which to erect a Meeting House. Under the leadership of Reverend Thomas H Johnson, the church was officially incorporated as Harmony Methodist Episcopal Church on April 21, 1875. A new house of worship was erected in 1891 on land adjacent to Harmony Cemetery. The cemetery lot was formally purchase from William T. Hurdle on June 4, 1915. A wooded area near the church was used for outdoor services, then known as "bush meetings." On February 13, 1939, a new church site was purchase from Oscar W. and Winona J. Wright by trustees Harvey W. Burton, Wilbur Harmon, Charles Davis, Samuel H, Jackson, Albert Lee Hall, Horace E. Wright, LeRoy Shelton, John W Thompson, and Dorsey E. Johnson. Construction of the present Harmony United Methodist Church began in 1940. The cornerstone was laid on September 13, 1942, and the opening service was held on April 18, 1943.