Before you stands
The City of El Paso
in the valley of the Rio Grande
and across is
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
To the far right is the river's southern exit
through the famed Pass of the North from which
El Paso takes its name.
This is historic ground. Here primitive men, from immemorial time, marched along the course of the Rio Grande's life giving waters. Here at this stony pass questing men in the wilderness found the most accessible and strategic gateway through the south most reaches of the Rocky Mountains huge continental ridge. The importance of the pass was recognized by the Spaniards who named it four centuries ago. They settled here with the natives and much later came the Americans.
This drowsy, stagecoach village was aroused when the railroads came through the pass in 1881 linking the far oceans. El Paso sprang to life, and became a busy city of destiny.
To the strong men who explored and pioneered this west, to the stout-hearted men and women who founded and built El Paso, this tablet and the descriptive markers to the right and left are proudly dedicated by:
The State National Bank of El Paso, Texas
on the 81st anniversary of its founding in 1881.