The city's early economic & social
history ties it to the river with
Poughkeepsie known as
The Queen City of the Hudson 1776 - 1876, Shipyard Point. Site of the Revolutionary War shipyards, various ships were built along the City's water front for 100 years. The De Lavav Cream Separator Co., one of the city's largest factories was established at this point, and built separators and milking machines, 1892-1964.
1873, various iron foundries, including the Hudson River Iron Works; reopened in 1883, as Phoenix Horse Shoe Co. & was possibly the largest producer in the world.
1803, Vassar Brewery operated near the water front from 1836 - 1896. Matthew Vassar's fortune, made from the brewery business, built Vassar College in 1861.
1832 - 1844, The Poughkeepsie Whale Dock, originally located between the foot of Main St. and the Vassar Brewery with various whaling companies operating.
1760, Union Street Landing was the important middle dock where Stoneware manufacturing began in 1797. In 1800, the Brig Caroline was launched as Poughkeepsie became New York states second seaport.
1814, the Steamboat Terminal first began at the Main St. Landing, with the Firefly becoming the first steamboat to permanently dock. The Central Hudson Steamboat Co. continued operations into the early 1900's.1700, Upper Landing was first used by Dutch settlers as a mill site along the Fallkill Creek. During the 1800's Industrial Revolution, it was an important dock for shipping & transportation. Hoffman House 1740-1780. First built & used by early Dutch Families, it became the home of important merchants. Reynolds House, 1820, was built during the Industrial Revolution.
1879, Poughkeepsie Glass Works was the first "continuous feed tank" glass manufactory in the U.S. Made a large quantity of whiskey flasks & beer bottles, ending at the time of prohibition.1793, ferry service began between Highland & Poughkeepsie, as a sail and rowboat operation. In 1819, a "Team Ferry Boat" powered by two horses in a treadmill began. In 1899, the Brinkerhoff began operation, and made its final trip when service closed o Dec. 31, 1941.
1865 - 1913, Adriance & Platt Mower And Reaper Works. A major producer of farm equipment, sold worldwide. The family fortune built Adriance Memorial Library, 1897. The business was sold to the Moline Plow Co. 1913 - 1923 and destroyed by fire on Jan. 8, 1939.
Information provided by George Lukacs, City Historian