Built in 1848, the Ard Godfrey House is the earliest frame house still standing in Minneapolis. An example of Greek Revival architecture, it originally occupied a site in the vicinity of Main and Second Streets Southeast.Erected by the Woman's Club of Minneapolis
Ard Godfrey, a millwright, moved here from Maine in 1847 to build a sawmill at St. Anthony Falls, the only major falls on the Mississippi River waterway. More than 125 years ago this house became a popular meeting place for citizens of the area and for visitors. Godfrey, a prominent figure in community life, became the first postmaster of the Village of St. Anthony in 1851.
The Ard Godfrey House is owned by the Minneapolis Park Board. Its restoration has been administered by the Woman's Club of Minneapolis with the help of the Minneapolis Building and Construction Trades Council, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, and the Minnesota Historical Society. Some of the furnishings are on loan from the Hennepin County Historical Society.