Congregation was organized as early as 1837, first under the charge of Charles McLeod and next, Asbury H. Shanks. Contract for the present building was let October 23, 1844, and the building was dedicated on October 5, 1845. Greenberry Garrett was Presiding Elder for the Summerfield District. The original building committee was Greenberry Garrett, A. H. Mitchell, T. B. Goldsby, John Paulling, and George A. B. Walker. The original Trustees were George Childers, Noel Pitts, John Paulling and David Mims. Here worshipped Bishop J. O. Andrew and many other prominent Methodist leaders and educators. This church absorbed the earlier congregation which worshipped at Childers Chapel, south of this site, were a Methodist congregation was in existence as early as 1824.