Built in 1871The DeForest Depot was built in 1871, at the time of the construction of the railroad line which connected Madison to Portage. Land for a depot was donated to the railroad by Isaac DeForest. Recognizing the importance of rail service to the growth of the community, area residents provided funds to erect the building. Knute Knudtson, a local tradesman, constructed the depot using a post and beam building technique common to many area barns. The original exterior siding consisted of vertical boards and battens. In the 1920s the depot was remodeled to include wainscoting, horizontal siding, and new windows. The DeForest Depot closed in 1971 and the building was later purchased by the Chase Lumber Company of DeForest to be used for storage. In 2001 the land and the building were deeded by Fred and Helen Chase to the DeForest Area Historical Society. The current exterior restoration reflects the appearance of the building during the 1930s, when The Milwaukee Road train passed through town several times each day.
|Placed By||The DeForest Area Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 14th, 2014 at 6:28am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 309904 N 4790774|
|Decimal Degrees||43.24581667, -89.34153333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 14.749', W 89° 20.492'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 14' 44.94" N, 89° 20' 29.52" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201-299 Market St, DeForest WI 53532, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.