Baxter Springs Historic Walking TourIn May of 1893, the Polster Brothers, Charles, John and Ed, and their mother, Elizabeth Polster, had a grand opening for their new dry goods store. The public was entertained with music by an Italian harpist, and the building was lavishly decorated with plants and paintings. Their move to this location was prompted by a devastating fire that had destroyed the Polster Hotel, Dry Goods Store, and Drug Store one block north. All the businesses had been established by the father of the Polster Brothers, John Polster, who had come to Baxter Springs in 1867.
|Placed By||Baxter Springs Heritage Center & Museum|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 3:05pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 345638 N 4099088|
|Decimal Degrees||37.02531667, -94.73536667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 1.519', W 94° 44.122'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 1' 31.14" N, 94° 44' 7.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1015 Military Ave, Baxter Springs KS 66713, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.