This building was constructed in 1898 by the Sussex Trust Title and Safe Deposit Company. It was opened in October of that year, and continued to serve as the Lewes branch of the bank until being replaced by a new structure on Second Street in 1911. The property was subsequently sold, and for a time was used as a store. On December 14, 1929, it was donated to the Zwaanendael Women's Club by Virginia L. Mustard, a Charter Member of the organization.
Founded in 1905, the Zwaanendael Club was organized by a group of public-spirited women for the purpose of promoting community improvement through volunteer service. For a number of years the club's meetings were held in the homes of members, and at various other locations in the town. Their first meeting at this location was on October 7, 1930. It was decided to set up a lending library and offer use of the building to various community organizations. The facility was expanded in the 1930s with the construction of an addition on Third Street. The Zwaanendael Club Building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.