Like many local communities, Milton was plagued by numerous destructive fires during the 19th century. By the 1890s, citizens were calling for the establishment of a fire department to protect the town and surrounding area. The effort was ultimately successful, and on November 14, 1901, the Volunteer Fire Company of Milton was organized with Chief Charles H. Davidson and 26 men. Milton's first motorized piece was purchased in 1926, and was housed on the corner of Union & Magnolia Street in a single garage. The company was formally incorporated in 1929, becoming the Milton Fire Department, Inc. In 1930 a second truck was added. More space was needed, and the Fox Theater and adjoining property on Union Street was obtained. Continued growth, addition of new equipment, and the establishment of an Ambulance Service in 1948, resulted in the construction of the present building in 1949-50. Additional property was acquired in 1971, and a major renovation and expansion project was completed in 1981. The department celebrated 100 years of history in 2001 with the addition of a "2001 centennial fire Engine," and the purchase of property for added parking.