Roseville Plantation Slave And Freedman's Cemetery
This was originally the slave cemetery for Roseville Plantation. Roseville, established about 1771 by the Dewitt family, was later owned by the Brockinton, Bacot, and Clarke families from the 1820s through the Civil War. A 1200-acre plantation, it had more than 100 slaves living and planting cotton here by 1850.
This cemetery is sometimes called "the Clarke Cemetery" after the family that owned Roseville from Reconstruction until 1948. It is about 150 ft. square, and though it contains relatively few gravemarkers it includes at least 150 and as many as 250 or more graves. Slaves, freedmen, and their descendants were buried here for two hundred years, from the 1770s to the 1970s.