1739 - 1814Near this site stood the house erected in 1784 by Matthew Elliott. Born in Ireland, he emigrated to the American Colonies in 1761, and during the Revolution served with the British forces as a captain in the Indian Department. He was an Indian agent for the western tribes 1790-95 and deputy superintendent of the Indian Department 1795-98. Elliott represented Essex in the legislative assembly 1801-12. As colonel of the 1st Essex Militia he took part in the capture of Detroit , August 16, 1812, and the battles of Fort Meigs, Moraviantown and Black Rock.
|Placed By||The Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 5:42am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 325229 N 4661357|
|Decimal Degrees||42.08485000, -83.11306667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 5.091', W 83° 6.784'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 5' 5.46" N, 83° 6' 47.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 777-1147 Essex County Rd 20, Amherstburg ON N9V 3B2, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.