The Parish of St. Vincent de Paul is the direct successor of the many and often interrupted endeavors in the Niagara area since 1626. At first concerned with native peoples, later French and then English-speaking priests came as chaplains for the troops stationed at Fort Niagara and Fort George.
The first permanent parish with a resident priest was established here in 1826 to serve the pastoral needs of the growing number of Catholics in the Niagara Peninsula and the west-central part of the Province. Though the area of its pastoral jurisdiction was soon reduced, St. Vincent de Paul remained very much a spiritual home to Catholics on both sides of the Niagara River for many years.
Bishop Alexander Macdonell of Kingston blessed the frame church with its Gothic windows on November 9, 1835. The Most Reverend Thomas J. McCarthy, Bishop of St. Catherines, blessed the restoration of the original church and the polygon-shaped addition to the front of the building on July 25, 1965. Today St. Vincent de Paul, an example of early church architecture in Canada, remains the oldest surviving Catholic Church still used for worship in the Province of Ontario.
This plaque was blessed and dedicated by the Most Reverend Thomas B. Fulton, D.D., Bishop of St. Catherines, December 1, 1985.
An historical plaque of the Roman Catholic Diocese of St. Catherines.