Royal AirportThe site of an airplane landing field, hangars, flying schools and stunt shows, this field was the center of Madison aviation from 1926 to 1938, mainly through the efforts of Howard Morey and his founding of Madison Airways Corporation. Later known as Royal Airways Corporation, it provided the first passenger service to Chicago, while Northwest Airways Inc. provided the first airmail service from this former farmland. The 100 foot wide hangar, built in 1926, could house 17 planes.
Charles LindberghRoyal Airport, then called Pennco Field, welcomed Charles Lindbergh and the "Spirit of St. Louis" in a triumphal visit to Madison in 1927, three months after his historic trans-Atlantic solo flight. He circled the field three times, and then banked into a perfect landing at exactly 2:00 PM. Lindbergh returned to Madison in 1928 to receive an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws. On each visit, Lindbergh strongly advocated the commercial development of aviation in Madison.