These ruins represent the last surviving enlisted men's barracks, on the east end of Barracks Row. Much like Officer's Row defined the north side of the Parade Ground, Barracks Row made up the south side. This adobe barracks was one of two completed in 1889, the last of seven barracks buildings that made up the row.
Designed to house a troop of cavalry or company of infantry (each normally consisting of about 40 men), each of the barracks included a 125 by 25 foot squad room in front, with two wings extending behind. One housed a billiard room, ordinance room, and company sergeant's room, and the other wing contained the washroom, kitchen, and company mess.
This barracks was converted to a boy's dormitory during the 1920's when the dormer windows were added. After 1932 it was used as a vocational training workshop for the Theodore Roosevelt School. In 1976 the Tribe renovated the barracks to serve as the Apache Cultural Center. The building, along with much of the museum's collection, was destroyed by a fire in January 1985.