The River Crossing
Travelers on the road to Bennington in 1777 crossed the Walloomsac River on a bridge where today's bridge stands at the foot of this hill. To defend this important crossing, Baum placed his Brunswick grenadiers and a few British marksmen in a small breastwork overlooking the bridge and posted his Canadian troops in houses near the river.
General John Stark, aware that enemy troops were approaching Bennington in force, encamped his small army three miles east of this hill, just beyond a bend in the Walloomsac River. On August 16, he set in motion his plan to dislodge Baum's entrenched forces. Stark would send 100 militiamen marching into view 100 yards from the bridge as a diversion. Meanwhile, two columns led by Colonels Moses Nichols and Samuel Herrick would skirt either side of the hill and approach from the rear. Two smaller columns under Colonels David Hobart and Thomas Stickney would assault the "Tory redoubt" located on a rise of ground across the river. The remaining troops would assault the small breastworks guarding the river crossing and then charge up the south and east slopes of the hill. Stark's plan was a success. The outposts fell swiftly, and Baum's main position atop the hill was surrounded.
The Bennington Monument
This obelisk, located in Bennington, Vermont, marks the site of the American storehouses which Baum had hoped to capture. It is 306 feet high and was completed in 1889.
The Tory Redoubt
A small hill on the opposite side of the Walloomsac River was fortified by a contingent of American loyalists, or Tories, many of whom were neighbors of Stark's militiamen. Colonels David Hobart and Thomas Stickney led 300 New Hampshire troops against this "Tory redoubt." To distinguish friend from foe, the attackers reportedly wore cornhusks in their hats. The Tories, expecting no mercy from those who considered them traitors, fired one volley at the New Hampshire men and fled.