Although Deadwood was in a mining district, it didn't remain a mining town. Instead, it became the service center for the Northern Black Hills. Regional residents came to Deadwood for their legal, financial, wholesale, retail and entertainment needs.
In the autumn of 1876, the Black Hills Pioneer reported that Deadwood had 173 businesses, including an assayer, a bank, a bath house, 3 butchers, 2 brewers, 4 billiard halls, 11 clothing houses, 21 grocers, 2 hardware stores, 8 laundries, 7 lawyers, and 27 saloons. Over time, enterprises diversified to include a foundry, brick plants, a cigar factory, and a creamery.
Caption on left photo: Zoellner Brothers' clothing store
Caption on middle photo: Bloom's Shoe and Clothing store
Caption on lower right photo: Black Hills Trust and Savings Bank
Caption on upper right photo: The interior of a meat market