Thousands of people suddenly burst into Deadwood Gulch in 1876. Some came to try their luck at mining, while others hoped to strike it rich with supply stores, restaurants, and saloons.
"Six weeks ago the site of Deadwood City was a heavy forest of pine timber, now it extends nearly a mile along Deadwood and Whitewood, and contains nearly two thousand of the most energetic, driving people on the continent. Every branch of business is represented,... houses are going up on every hand - immense [ox] trains are constantly arriving loaded with goods of all kinds."
Black Hills Pioneer, June 1876