Constructed in c. 1900 by G. P. Dowling, the Dowling-Steagall House is a Classical Revival dwelling featuring a full-height portico with Ionic columns and an elaborate door surround. A judge and prominent businessman, G. P. Dowling organized Ozark's first waterworks, ran a hardware store and served as president of the Ozark Cotton Mill and the First National Bank. In 1926, Dr. Malcolm O. Grace purchased the Dowling House, operating Grace Hospital, Ozark's first hospital, out of the building until his death in 1933. United States Congressman Henry Bascom Steagall then acquired the property. Congressman Steagall served as Chairman of the Committee on Banking and Currency and co-authored the Glass-Steagall Act, creating the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). He resided at the house until his death in 1943.