>>>>—- 2 Blocks —->A reproduction of Georgia's State Capitol 1807-1867 stands on the original site. Wings to the main building were added in 1828 and 1837. Here the Secession Convention met Jan. 16, 1861 and after three days of bitter debate passed the secession act. In 1864 Sherman's Union soldiers held a mock session of the Georgia legislature and repealed the secession act.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 8:05am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 292286 N 3662515|
|Decimal Degrees||33.08141667, -83.22535000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 4.885', W 83° 13.521'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 4' 53.10" N, 83° 13' 31.26" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||478, 706|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 110 S Jefferson St, Milledgeville GA 31061, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.