This village, platted as New Market in 1836 but renamed Scio to correspond with its postal designation, became the site of a noteworthy college in 1867. This college, founded by A. D. Lee, was widely known for its unusual "one-study" curriculum; likewise for its remarkable School of Pharmacy under Prof. J. H. Beal. Scio College merged with Mt. Union of Alliance in 1911. In June, 1898, persevering H. A. Snyder struck oil near Scio, and the once quiet village experienced a tumultuous "boom" until 1901. In that period some 1000 oil wells were drilled in and near the village. Present-day Scio is known nationally as the home of the Scio Pottery Company, Est. 1933, a testimonial to the fortitude and progressive management of its founder, Lewis P. Reese (1893-1952).