Side one:(Continued on the other side)
Laceyville was once a small community with an inn, a post office, general store, a school, black smith shop, a shoemaker, and a tailor. It also had its own baseball team and orchestra. The Laceyville House, built of brick and stone in 1842, was a stagecoach stop. The first proprietors were Maj. John S. Lacey, who served as Harrison County's sheriff and treasurer, and his wife, Anna Jeanett. Weary travelers would always time their journey to reach the Lacey
(Continued from other side)home for rest and lodging. In later years, groups from Cadiz would travel to the tavern by carriage, sleigh, or bicycle for parties and dances. The parents of screen legend Clark Gable were guests of the Lacey family in the 1890s during an oil boom in the area. The Lacey home passed out of the family after the death of Maj. Henry B. Lacey in 1902. The tavern was torn down in the late 1940s.