Poplar Bluff

Poplar Bluff (HMO57)

Location: Poplar Bluff, MO 63901 Butler County
Country: United States of America

N 36° 45.379', W 90° 23.563'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 204 views
Inscription
(Front):
In the Ozark perimeter, above Missouri's Southeast Lowland Region, Poplar Bluff was laid out in 1849 as seat of newly organized Butler County. The town was named for its location in a forest of yellow poplars on the bluffs above Black River. Called L'eau Noire by French trappers, Black River flows clear and swift above Poplar Bluff, murky and slow below. The county is named for Mexican War General W.O. Butler.

Almost destroyed by guerrilla and troop foragers during the Civil War, Poplar Bluff's present development began with the arrival of the St. Louis, Iron Mt., & So. R.R. (Mo. Pac.) in 1872. The lumbering era of the 1870's to early 1900's brought a second railroad (the Frisco), 2 banks, and Black River Seminary (1869-75) to Poplar Bluff. A part of Butler County is now in Clark National Forest.

Poplar Bluff's growth continued with the agricultural economy that developed after the lumbering boom. Reclamation of Butler County's swamp between the St. Francis and Black rivers began with the 1913 Inter-River Drainage District. The county produces rice, cotton, grain, livestock, and lumber.
(See other side)

(Reverse):
(Continued from other side)
Poplar Bluff, seat of Butler County, with its trade, banks, and industries, is in territory ceded by Osage Indians in 1808 and utilized by other tribes into the 1930's. Southward is Gillis Bluff, said to be named for an Indian trader who had a post there around 1825. Above Poplar Bluff ran the Natchitoches Trail, an Indian pathway to the Southwest. Geologists H.R. Schoolcraft, in 1819, and G.W. Featherstonaugh, in 1834, traveled along a part of this path. Some 1800 Indian mounds remain in the county area.

Butler County's first settler is said to be Solomon Kittrell in 1819. The early pioneers, largely from Kentucky and Tennessee, were attracted by the plentiful water, wood, and game. Taxes were often paid in furs. About 1881, a number of German families formed a short-lived communal colony in the vicinity of Gillis Bluff where they laid out Carola.

In 1927, a tornado struck in Poplar Bluff killing 87 and doing over 2 million dollars damage. The courthouse, rebuilt after the disaster, is the county's fourth. Poplar Bluff was the home of Dwight H. Brown, Missouri's Secretary of State, 1932-44.
Details
HM NumberHMO57
Tags
Year Placed1958
Placed ByState Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 1:18am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15S E 732747 N 4071010
Decimal Degrees36.75631667, -90.39271667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 36° 45.379', W 90° 23.563'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds36° 45' 22.74" N, 90° 23' 33.78" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)573
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 201-299 Vine St, Poplar Bluff MO 63901, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?