Based on the large number of local mounds and artifacts, this site shows evidence of Indian occupation over 2000 years ago. According to tradition about 1780, Oakville became a Cherokee town located on Black Warriors' Path. By the early 1820's, Celtic people of Scots~Irish ancestry had moved here in large numbers often intermarrying with the local Indians. Prominent names of this era included Irwin, Hodges, McNutt, McWhorter and McDaniel. Wiley Galloway was a teacher of the first known school in 1824. On 9 Dec 1833, the state legislature incorporated Oakville with town limits set 1/4 mile in every direction from the spring in the public square. The town flourished and at various times had a post office, tan yard, tavern, (Inn), Oakville Female Academy (1837), general stores, and brass band. Some early storeowners included G. W. McNutt, Thomas Sparks, Fleming Hodges and others. Judge Charles Gibson's hog pen on the natural drain of the public spring led to the waters backing up, becoming contaminated and causing the c1855 "bloody flux" epidemic. This gave Oakville the reputation as an unhealthy site and contributed to its gradual decline. The rising waters started the persistent legend that the town has sunk.