Surry County African-American Heritage Society
In November of 1913 a deed was sold to the School Board District Number Four for property on the eastside of Spring Grove Road, Claremont, Virginia. A school was built on this property in the style of Rosenwald Schools. The grades ranged from first through seven.
Mrs. Lucy Jones and Mrs. Jerlese Jones served as superintendents of Claremont School. Among the teachers who taught at this school were Rev. W.H. and Mamie Henderson, Mrs. Gatling, Ms. Edmonds, Lucy Jones, N.T. Ellis, C.L. George, Catherine King and Marie W. Pierce (substitute).
Some of the oldest living students known to attend this school were Virginia Wright, Eugene and Harrison Luster, Arnette L. Swann, Dorothy H. McDaniel, Mattie Parham and Cokie Harrison.
The school was closed in 1957. Today it is used as a community facility.