As a result of the organization of the original 19 wards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "Mormons" in Salt Lake City on February 22, 1849, ward squares or blocks were created on which the public buildings for each ward were constructed. Of the original squares, only the Tenth Ward Square retains the buildings which served the settlers' spiritual, economic, cultural and education needs. Still standing are the 1873 meeting house, the first building used exclusively for religious purposes; the third schoolhouse, built in 1887 and one of the earliest known designs of Richard K. Kletting, prominent architect and Mormon immigrant of 1883; the late Gothic revival church constructed in 1909; and the Tenth Ward store built in 1880. The store is connected to a house which was built in the 1890s by Adam Speirs, bishop and proprietor of the store. Originally the Tenth Ward was bounded by Sixth East on the west, the foothills on the east, Third South on the north and Sixth South on the south. The First Bishopric of the Tenth Ward consisted of: David Pettegrew, Bishop, with Daniel Tyler, First Counselor and Sanford Porter, Second Counselor. All three of these men were members of the Mormon Battalion.