A Cold CommandIn the winter of 1863-1864, after abandoning the siege of Knoxville, Confederate Gen. James Longstreet was given command of the Confederate forces in Upper East Tennessee. He chose Russellville, a small town on the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad roughly and equal distance from Morristown and Bulls Gap, as his winter quarters. He and his staff established their headquarters here in the William Nenney House, using first-floor rooms as their command center, while the soldiers constructed hut camps along the railroad and also from the Holston to the Nolichucky Rivers. Longstreet's cavalry maintained a defensive line that stretched between Rutledge to the south and Dandridge to the east.
|Series||This marker is part of the Tennessee: Tennessee Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Tennessee Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 1:43am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 302726 N 4014729|
|Decimal Degrees||36.25735000, -83.19581667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 15.441', W 83° 11.749'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 15' 26.46" N, 83° 11' 44.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5915 E Andrew Johnson Hwy, Russellville TN 37860, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.