James Shirley built this raised cottage in 1838, using Federal and Greek Revival detailing. Constructed of local handmade brick, it was home for him, his wife, Mary Ann Christian Shirley, and his mother, Elizabeth Shirley. James was town surveyor in the 1830s. He built the first bridge over the Sipsey River in West Tuscaloosa County and Northport's first brick commercial buildings in the 1850s. This house was later the home of William L. Christian, a Confederate veteran and Northport merchant; and, afterwards the home of George and Grace Christian. In 1979 Marvin Harper, a Shirley descendant, acquired the house. He gave it to the City of Northport in 1997.
National Register of Historic Places - March 24, 1972