The Old Market Historic Walking TourOmaha capitalist Ezra Millard, a former mayor of Omaha and the man for whom a western suburb was named, erected the four-story Millard Block in 1880-81. The first tenants were Tootle, Maul & Co., wholesale dry goods; Reed, Jones & Co., boots and shoes; and W.L. Parrotte & Co., hats and caps. But by the beginning of the 20th century, the busy factory of the F.P. Kirkendall Boot Company was established here. It was once the world's largest producer of riding boots, supplying them to such prestigious customers as King Gustav V of Sweden and Emperor Yoshohito of Japan, as well as working cowboys everywhere. On the night of January 28, 1905, a fire gutted the interior of the building, but left standing the sturdy walls, which are 30-inches thick at the base. The interior was then rebuilt and a fifth floor added to the building, enabling the Kirkendall Boot Factory to stay another 50 years. In 1995, Rubin Distributing Co. left the building to make way for new upscale apartments and retail.
|Placed By||The Old Market|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 10:31am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 254443 N 4571366|
|Decimal Degrees||41.25641667, -95.93098333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 15.385', W 95° 55.859'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 15' 23.10" N, 95° 55' 51.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1101 Harney St, Omaha NE 68102, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.