The Old Market Historic Walking TourIn 1903, George Fisher and Harry Lawrie designed Fire Substation No. 1 in the then-popular Chateauesque style. The gabled third floor gave the building the look of a French chateau. On April 9, 1917, firefighters were sunning themselves out front when a bystander rushed to tell them that their building was on fire. The two-alarm fire destroyed the third floor, which housed the hayloft for the horse-drawn engines. The top of the building was removed, and it was remodeled with a new maintenance facility called a "fire shop." It continued to operate as a firehouse until lack of manpower during World War II forced it to close. In 1972, the building was reopened with applause as the Firehouse Dinner Theater, and live shows were staged there until 1991. In 1996, architect David Erickson converted the firehouse into a restaurant and microbrewery, the Upstream Brewing Co., with the original 1903 cornerstone as an interior showpiece. The patio on the east side of the building became home to a stone trough that once treated thirsty horses and dogs at Capitol Avenue and 17th Streets.
|Placed By||The Old Market|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 3:43am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 254458 N 4571191|
|Decimal Degrees||41.25485000, -95.93073333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 15.291', W 95° 55.844'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 15' 17.46" N, 95° 55' 50.64" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 548-598 S 11th St, Omaha NE 68102, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.