The fountain around the Memorial Flagpole commemorates 150 years of service by the New Haven Water Company founded by Eli Whitney. The first water was brought to the Green from Lake Whitney on January 1, 1862 in order to provide fresh water for drinking and fire protection to the City of New Haven.
The fountain has been donated by the people of the City of New Haven and by the water company's successor, the Regional Water Authority, as well as Yale University, the proprietors of the Green and individual donors. The Regional Water Authority is comprised of the towns of Bethany, Branford, Cheshire, East Haven, Guilford, Hamden, Killingworth, Madison, Milford, New Haven, North Branford, North Haven, Orange Prospect, West Haven and Woodbridge.
John Destefano, Jr. Mayor
June 16, 2003