Funkstown's Link to the ChesapeakeWhen the National Road was completed through Funkstown in 1823, a rush of "stagecoaches and wagon teams, droves of cattle, teamsters and travelers" flooded through the town. Although Baltimore was seventy miles to the east, the Funkstown city founders named their main street "Baltimore," pointing out their role as a link between the shores of the Chesapeake, the Great Valley of Virgnia and the mountains to the west.
|Series||This marker is part of the The Historic National Road series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 11:24pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 267618 N 4387914|
|Decimal Degrees||39.60946667, -77.70683333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 36.568', W 77° 42.41'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 36' 34.08" N, 77° 42' 24.60" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||240, 301|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2-98 US-40 ALT, Hagerstown MD 21740, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.